How to make a homemade doorbell
Have you ever wonder to make a doorbell all by yourself? Or, do you need a doorbell for your room? You can create a good impression among everyone if you place a doorbell behind your room. It’s best for you to make one for yourself rather than buy one. Because if you buy a new doorbell just for your room, not for the main door, then you'll need an additional wiring that connects to the main electric supply.
You can also make it as your science project and gather applause.
Recently, I’ve done a science project on a doorbell. It was not good enough to get the 1st prize but somehow it managed to get the 3rd prize. And now I placed it outside of my room. It isn’t very easy but it’s possible to make a doorbell at home.
Here I’ve demonstrated step by step about making a doorbell
Before making a doorbell you’ll need to collect some tools for it. I’ve given a list below and usage of each element so that it will be easier for you to understand
Things you’ll need:-
1. A square wooden plank
This will be the base of your doorbell.
2. 3-9V DC Motor
On which the bell will run. The power from the battery circulates to motor through wires and make the whole system run.
3. Two Steel Bells
These two bells are the main tool for this project. These will generate sound.
4. 9v Battery with Connector
The doorbell that we have on our front door runs on electricity. We cannot provide such electricity on our DIY doorbell. Therefore, we are going to need a 9V for this.
5. Long end screw
This will work as your plunger. By moving back and forth, it will hit the bells and make sound.
6. Wooden Popsicle
This will hold the long-ended screw.
7. Wire Connector
This is a tiny square piece. It connects the whole circuit. It has four sides. Each side is for four individual wires.
This will hold the Popsicle on the board.
9. Bell Switch
The trigger button that allows the whole system electrocuted when pressed.
10. Glue gun and Power driver
Glue the DC motor to the bottom of the wooden plank leaving one-inch space behind. Use glue gun to glue it.
Make a small hole on the plank, vertically following the same line where the motor is situated.
- 1Make a small hole in the edge of Popsicle.
- 2After an inch space, make a bigger hole. Use power driver for this.
- 3On the contrast side of the Popsicle, glue a long-ended screw.
- 1Cut three small rubber ring from a wire strand
- 2Take a toothpick and insert a rubber ring in it.
- 3Insert a toothpick in the smaller hole of the popsicles.
- 4Again, insert another rubber ring in it to secure the Popsicle to the toothpick.
- 5After that implant the toothpick in the hole on the plank you’ve made.
- 6Make sure that the other hole of the Popsicle goes over the motor’s metal rod
- 7Again, place a rubber ring in the metal rod. To secure it with the Popsicles
This will be your plunger.
Now let’s set up the bells on the board.
- 1The two bells that you have is more like two small bowls. Insert a long-ended screw from the centre of a bell and from the other side secure it with a bolt. Make sure that the curvy surface is placed upwards.
- 2Make holes on both sides of the long-ended screw. And mount in the bells in it. Make sure they are as close as possible to the plunger without touching it
Go to the bottom again and glue in the wire connector at the right of the motor and the battery on the left of it.
Take one wire from the motor and one wire from the connector. Merge and seal them together. You can use wire screw to seal them. Otherwise, red-tape will do fine as well.
Insert both remaining wires from the connector and from the motor in the wire connector. Tight the screws up.
Take a bell button. You’ll see two wires are coming from it. Implant both of them on the other side of the wire connector. Tighten the screws.
Complete the whole circuit by attaching the connector to the tip of the battery and now, when you push the bell button, the bell will generate sounds.
Making a cover for your bell
And now you are going to need a cover for your bell. Because it will look ugly if you leave it open.
There you have a cover for your doorbell. Mount the doorbell against the wall by drilling the screws in. After that, place the cover on the top. You can secure it by drilling the top side with the base.